Friday, November 24, 2017

Israel closes case against colonel‘s alleged killing of Palestinian teen


By Bao Yen - April 12, 2016
TAGS:
Section: [Main News]
Tags: [Qalandia Refugee Camp]

Nadim Nuwara's father after the death of his son.
Israel's Military Advocate General announced on Sunday a decision to close the investigation into the alleged killing of a Palestinian by an Israeli colonel in 2014.
The Palestinian teenager, Nadim Siyam Nuwara, 17, was shot in the head and chest on July 3, 2014 after he reportedly threw stones at a military vehicle near the Qalandiya checkpoint during a protest outside Ofer detention in Ramallah.
Autopsy later confirmed that the teenager was killed by live ammunition. Israeli Colonel Yisrael Shomer of Binyamin Regional Brigade was indicted for the killing of Nuwara.
Nuwara was killed alongside with Muhammad Audeh Abu al-Thahir, 15, who also joined in the rally marking the 66th anniversary of the Nakba.
"The Military Advocate General (MAG) concluded that the shooting of the perpetrator was not criminal and the event does not justify taking legal action against the officer, " Israeli army said in a public statement released on Sunday.
Israeli rights group B'Tselem called the decision to shut the case an "integral part" of Israel's military investigative system's "whitewash mechanism."
MAG said that the shooting was legal, as the Israeli officer claimed that he aimed at the Palestinian youth's legs but missed. MAG’s assertion indicates “a willingness to ignore the law and open-fire regulations," B’Tselem said, adding, “all in the interest of providing impunity to members of the security forces who unlawfully killed Palestinians.”
The Nuwara family however has been notified that the court hearing for the killing of their son was postponed to Wednesday, Ma'an News reported.
The hearing was scheduled to take place on Monday. The family told Ma'an that they called for lawyers, journalists and supporters on Saturday to appear at the court to pressure the Israeli authorities to hold accountable the Israeli officer responsible for the killing of their son.
"We want to give the Israeli occupation a message that the case is still alive and that our people do not forget the blood of their martyrs," the family told Ma'an.
Nuwara's family has continuously dispelled rumors that investigation into the death of their son has been dropped.
Despite eyewitnesses and video footage released by B'Tselem, the killing was condoned by military commanders and government ministers, on the grounds that live ammunition was not used during demonstration.
A joint investigation earlier this year by B'Tselem and Hamoked found that Israel's court system routinely postpones investigation on violations against Palestinians in order to push the families to drop charges.

 

Back to Top

Related Articles

Photography exhibition in Jaffa shows portraits of Palestinians living a lifetime of occupation
November 20, 2017

Wife of Hebron activist stands stoic through her artwork two years after his death
November 17, 2017

Israel continues campaign to evict Bedouin communities in the Jordan Valley
November 15, 2017

Most Popular Articles

Israelĺs puppet war unmasks apartheid regime
The El-Hakawati theatre was colorfully adorned to host its annual International

Israel Avoids Hard-Right Shift: No Benefit for Palestinians
With many commentators predicting big wins for the settler movement in

Rushdi Tamimi becomes second victim of Israeli army in Nabi Saleh
On Tuesday November 21st, the body of 31 year old Rushdi Tamimi was

Designed & Developed by: Pixel Co