Thursday, November 23, 2017

Israeli forces demolish two houses in Bethlehem and a playground in Silwan


By Marta Feirra - March 29, 2016
TAGS:
Section: [Main News]
Tags:

Israel demolished two houses belonging to Palestinians on Monday in Bethlehem, near the Israeli separation wall and a military checkpoint north of the city. On Tuesday a privately-owned playground was demolished in the East Jerusalem neighbourhood of Silwan.

Khader al-Jirashi told Ma’an News the Israeli military demolished two homes, a metal barn and a playground he owned in northern Bethlehem. He added that after carrying out the demolition, Israeli bulldozers and excavators proceeded to level a tract of land of several acres while escorted by Israeli military vehicles.

Al-Jirashi said the demolition was carried out without prior notice. He said, however, that it was not clear whether his properties were in Area B or C, although he insisted the structures were built legally in Bethlehem with the necessary permits from the Palestinian Authority.

While demolitions are frequent in Area C – around 60 percent of the occupied West Bank that is under full Israeli military control – demolitions in Area A and B are less common and a violation of the Oslo Accords of 1993.

Silwan resident Khalid al-Zeir told Ma’an News that armed Israeli forces escorted excavators early on Tuesday morning to a playground he built in the al-Abbasiyya area of Silwan.

According to al-Zeir, the excavators levelled his land and demolished a playground he had built, a storage room and fences, and some trees were also cut down.

The owner was notified by Israel’s Nature and National Parks Authority that his playground was built on “historically important archaeological area”, where construction is prohibited.

The local Wadi Hilweh center said Israeli authorities are escalating demolitions in Silwan, with at least four demolitions having been carried out in the neighbourhood this month.

Last week, the UN warned the village of Khirbet Tana in the Jordan Valley faced the risk of “forcible transfer” after a wave of Israeli demolitions left more than a third of its residents homeless.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said in the demolitions are part of one of the most extensive demolition campaigns in the West Bank in recent year, which left more than 650 Palestinians homeless in less than three months.

 

 

Back to Top

Related Articles

Photography exhibition in Jaffa shows portraits of Palestinians living a lifetime of occupation
November 20, 2017

Wife of Hebron activist stands stoic through her artwork two years after his death
November 17, 2017

Israel continues campaign to evict Bedouin communities in the Jordan Valley
November 15, 2017

Most Popular Articles

Israelĺs puppet war unmasks apartheid regime
The El-Hakawati theatre was colorfully adorned to host its annual International

Israel Avoids Hard-Right Shift: No Benefit for Palestinians
With many commentators predicting big wins for the settler movement in

Rushdi Tamimi becomes second victim of Israeli army in Nabi Saleh
On Tuesday November 21st, the body of 31 year old Rushdi Tamimi was

Designed & Developed by: Pixel Co