Friday, September 22, 2017

Two convicted for 2014 murder of Abu Khdeir while verdict of main suspect suspended


By Amy Mac - November 30, 2015
TAGS:
Section: [Main News]
Tags: [Jerusalem]

Yosef Ben David, the main suspect of the murder of Muhammad Abu Khdeir.


Two Israelis have been convicted of the 2014 murder of Palestinian teenaged Muhammad Abu Khdeir while a third suspect, who confessed to the killing, was not convicted on account of his mental health.

 

According to Haaretz, the conviction of Yosef Ben David, 31, was suspended due to a last-minute psychiatric evaluation that claimed he was not responsible for his actions at the time of the murder.

 

The two convicted minors are expected to be sentenced on Feb. 14. The next hearing on Ben-David's sentence was scheduled for January 14, 2016, according to Ynet News.

 

Ben David, believed to be the ringleader, and the two other defendants, confessed to the murder during questioning by Israeli police and agreed to a reenactment.

 

The three admitted to beating Khdeir unconscious before pouring flammable liquid on him and burning him alive. They claimed the murder was intended as an act of vengeance for the kidnapping and murder of three Israeli teens earlier that year.

 

The group drove around for hours to find a suitable victim before kidnapping Abu Khdeir at 4 a.m. after he had decided to pray at the mosque in the Shufat neighborhood of East Jerusalem.

 

According to Ynet, they took him to a forest on the outskirts of Jerusalem and hit the teenager with a crowbar while shouting "this is for the Fogel family" and "this is for Gilad, Naphtali and Eya."

 

The father, Hussein Abu Khdeir, told Maan News Agency that he will "not accept less than a lifetime prison sentence" for the convicted as well as the court to demolish their homes.

 

“I don’t believe in the Israeli judiciary, and I want to see if they will be fair or not," he said. "We will go to the International Criminal Court if the Israeli court mitigates their sentence."


 

 

Back to Top

Related Articles

Israel moves to forcibly transfer entire Palestinian community in the West Bank
September 19, 2017

Eviction of East Jerusalem family reignites the struggle for Sheikh Jarrah
September 12, 2017

Formalising apartheid in Hebron
September 10, 2017

Most Popular Articles

Israelís puppet war unmasks apartheid regime
The El-Hakawati theatre was colorfully adorned to host its annual International

Israel Avoids Hard-Right Shift: No Benefit for Palestinians
With many commentators predicting big wins for the settler movement in

Rushdi Tamimi becomes second victim of Israeli army in Nabi Saleh
On Tuesday November 21st, the body of 31 year old Rushdi Tamimi was

Designed & Developed by: Pixel Co