Thursday, September 21, 2017

Fighting resumes in Gaza after another ceasefire ends


August 08, 2014
TAGS:
Section: [Main News] [Life under Occupation]
Tags: [Gaza] [Operation Protective Edge]

 A Palestinian man carries a mattress at the rubble of a destroyed building following a military strike in Khan Yunis, in the southern Gaza Strip | AFP

Fighting has resumed in Gaza after Palestinian factions fired 30 rockets into southern Israel as the three-day ceasefire expired at 8.00 a.m. this morning. Haaretz claims two mortars were fired from Gaza before the truce ended.

Israel responded by striking multiple targets across the Gaza Strip, including Gaza City, northern Gaza, Rafah, and Jabaliya, Ma’an News reported. A 10-year-old child was killed when Israel bombarded a mosque in the Gaza City. At least 15 Palestinians were injured in the attacks.

Thousands of Palestinians were forced to leave their homes after the renewed shelling in the Gaza City. The UNRWA Spokesperson Chris Gunnes tweeted that 221,554 displaced people were now taking refuge at the organization’s schools.

Islamic Jihad, the Popular Resistance Committee, and Fatah’s military wing al-Asifah claimed responsibility for the rocket fire that wounded two Israelis this morning. The Iron Dome missile defense system intercepted three of the rockets.

Attempts to reach a durable ceasefire in Cairo failed after Palestinian negotiators said Israel refused their demands. Hamas and Islamic Jihad had already agreed on a ceasefire, but retreated after a dispute over a wording in regard to the Israeli blockade in Gaza, according to Ma’an News.

Israel withdrew from the negotiations and would not resume talks as long as rockets were fired from Gaza, according to an Al-Jazeera reporter. The Palestinians continued discussing with the Egyptians on Friday, trying to sort out pivotal points in the negotiations.

The Palestinians have demanded lifting of the blockade in Gaza as well as the release of around 125 prisoners. The Israeli delegation has two main goals: to prevent Hamas from rearming, and to demilitarize the Gaza Strip in the long run, according to the Jerusalem Post.

A Palestinian official involved in the negotiations told Al Jazeera on Friday evening that there was no agreement on most issues between the two delegations.

Several protests in support of the Palestinian demands and against the Israeli operation in Gaza were organized across the West Bank on Friday. At least 14 people were wounded in Hebron in a demonstration of about 2,500 people. Three persons were injured in protests around the area of Qalqiliya.
 

Back to Top

Related Articles

Israel moves to forcibly transfer entire Palestinian community in the West Bank
September 19, 2017

Eviction of East Jerusalem family reignites the struggle for Sheikh Jarrah
September 12, 2017

Formalising apartheid in Hebron
September 10, 2017

Most Popular Articles

Israelís puppet war unmasks apartheid regime
The El-Hakawati theatre was colorfully adorned to host its annual International

Israel Avoids Hard-Right Shift: No Benefit for Palestinians
With many commentators predicting big wins for the settler movement in

Rushdi Tamimi becomes second victim of Israeli army in Nabi Saleh
On Tuesday November 21st, the body of 31 year old Rushdi Tamimi was

Designed & Developed by: Pixel Co