Sunday, May 19, 2019

After murder in Al-Mughayer, "Israel must give them security"


By Ary Gotlib - February 05, 2019
TAGS:
Section: [Main News]
Tags: [settler violence] [UN]

Hamdi Taleb Na'asan, a 38 year old farmer, was killed on January 26 by Israeli settlers in the West Bank village of al-Mughayer, Palestinian officials and the Israeli military announced.

 
Na'asan was shot with a live bullet in the back, according to the Palestinian health ministry.
 
At least 30 other Palestinians were injured, of whom six were shot with live ammunition, according to Al-Jazeera.  
 
Eyewitnesses told that Na'asan was killed while he was carrying an injured protester to an ambulance.
 
Hamdi Taleb Na'asan was married and father of four children - the oldest, a 10-year-old and the youngest, a one-year-old baby.
 
Tzuriel Amiur, a spokesperson from the illegal settlement of Adei Ad said in response to the murder that a settler had been "attacked by a group of Palestinians who stabbed him and threw stones at him," reported I24News.
 
Since two months, villagers from al-Mughayer started organising peaceful marches every Friday, protesting against the implantation of a new illegal outpost, Mevo Shiloh.
 
They slam the Israeli army and the civil administration for promising to evacuate the outpost, illegal under Israeli law, and not living up to the promise, said Al-Jazeera.
 
Palestinian villagers also protest against the behavior of settlers from Mevo Shiloh who prevent them from accessing their land, destroy their plantation and graze their flocks in their fields.
 
In some incidents, villagers’ cars have been damaged and painted with offensive graffiti pointed out the Israeli newspaper Haaretz.
 
The protest reached a climax after January 18, when settlers cut down 25 of the 35-year-old olive trees in the grove of Abed al Hai Na’asan, reported Haaretz.
 
This episode led to the clash where Hamdi Taleb Na'asan was shot to death.
 
On January 27, the UN's Middle East envoy, Nikolay Mladenov called the killing of a Palestinian man by Israeli settlers"shocking and unacceptable.”
 
He asked Israel to "put an end to settler violence and bring those responsible to justice," the Washington Post reported.
 
Ataf Naasan, the slain Palestinian's cousin lamented the absence of protection by the Israeli army.
 
He said he Israeli army did not come until the settlers finished their ammunition “then they started shooting tear gas and rubber bullets at us," Ataf said to Al Jazeera.
 
"Can you believe this? They attacked us instead of arresting the settlers," he added.
 
The village of Al-Mughayyir is in Area C of the West Bank, under total control of Israeli army.
 
“With no police of their own, or anyone to defend them, Palestinians are left feeling helpless,” wrote MEE.
 
Haaretz editorial sounded the alarm. It saw in this tragedy the cruel need for protection of Al-Mughayer.
 
The editorial concluded that “Israel is fighting a legitimate protest by Al-Mughayyir residents who deserve minimal security, something Israel must give them.”

Back to Top

Related Articles

ôShe died crying, unable to speak, and aloneö; five-year-old Palestinian girl from Gaza dies in Jerusalem hospital.
May 18, 2019

Palestinians mark 71st Nakba anniversary across the West Bank and Gaza
May 16, 2019

What is the Nakba? The "Catastrophe" explained
May 15, 2019

Most Popular Articles

Israelĺs puppet war unmasks apartheid regime
The El-Hakawati theatre was colorfully adorned to host its annual International

Israel Avoids Hard-Right Shift: No Benefit for Palestinians
With many commentators predicting big wins for the settler movement in

Rushdi Tamimi becomes second victim of Israeli army in Nabi Saleh
On Tuesday November 21st, the body of 31 year old Rushdi Tamimi was

Designed & Developed by: Pixel Co