Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Number of suspected “revenge attacks” continues to rise as 22-year-old abducted and left to bleed on remote hillside near Nablus


By Charlotte Drax - July 06, 2014
TAGS:
Section: [Main News] [Life under Occupation]
Tags: [Collective Punishment] [culture of impunity] [settler violence] [Settlers attacks]

Tariq Ziad Zuhdi Adeli after being attacked by Israeli settlers in Osarin, near Nablus.

After the bodies of the three settler teens were discovered early last week, calls for revenge have echoed across Israel and fears of individual reprisals against the Palestinian population are growing. 

These fears were realized early Wednesday morning when the charred body of 16-year-old Mohammed Abu Khedeir was found in a West Jerusalem forest. It is reported that he was bundled into a car by three men, thought to be Jewish extremists, on around 3 am that morning as he made his way to the mosque to pray.  An official autopsy report released yesterday revealed that Mohammed was burned alive.

Since this horrific murder, committed only hours after the funeral of Eyal, Gilad and Naftali (the three Israeli youth kidnapped killed in the West Bank), there has been an alarming number attempted abduction. 

According to local media, Jewish extremists tried to drag 9-year-old Mousa Zaloom into an awaiting car in Shuafat on Tuesday evening, the same area Mohammed was later snatched from. The Zaloom family were reportedly walking in the Eastern Jerusalem neighbourhood after a meal when the mother heard Mousa screaming. She turned around to see him being choked and dragged towards a waiting car. As she attempted to intervene, the attackers turned upon her before fleeing without the child when onlookers arrived at the scene. 

Four settlers from Pisgat Zeev reportedly tried to abduct a seven-year-old Palestinian child in the Jerusalem neighbourhood of Beit Hanina on Thursday evening. Local witnesses told Ma’an News Agency that the attackers fled on foot after family members ran to rescue Muhammad Ali al-Kiswani, who was playing in the street after breaking the Ramadan fast.

Thankfully, both children escaped with minor injuries, however, 22-year-old Tariq Ziad Zuhdi Adeli was not so lucky.

Israeli settlers reportedly approached the village of Osarin, south of Nablus, late Saturday evening and abducted Tariq. “The settlers stepped out of a car and sprayed gas at Tariq before pulling him into one of the vehicles,” witness Abas Adeli told Ma’an News Agency

“They then took him to a remote area in the outskirts of the village and attacked him with a hatchet, leaving him bleeding,” he went on to add. It is only after the attackers left that Tariq was able to call his father, who arrived with a group of young men from the village. He was then transported to Rafedia hospital in Nablus to receive urgent medical attention. 

When asked to comment on these disturbing and violent attacks, Dr Mustafa Barghouti told Palestine Monitor that, “what we are witnessing, in the Occupied Palestinian Territories today, are systematic attacks by settlers protected by the Israeli army.” 

“Palestinians feel totally unsafe. There is nobody able to provide them with protection,” he added. 

Back to Top

Related Articles

Photography exhibition in Jaffa shows portraits of Palestinians living a lifetime of occupation
November 20, 2017

Wife of Hebron activist stands stoic through her artwork two years after his death
November 17, 2017

Israel continues campaign to evict Bedouin communities in the Jordan Valley
November 15, 2017

Most Popular Articles

Israel’s puppet war unmasks apartheid regime
The El-Hakawati theatre was colorfully adorned to host its annual International

Israel Avoids Hard-Right Shift: No Benefit for Palestinians
With many commentators predicting big wins for the settler movement in

Rushdi Tamimi becomes second victim of Israeli army in Nabi Saleh
On Tuesday November 21st, the body of 31 year old Rushdi Tamimi was

Designed & Developed by: Pixel Co